Thursday, August 30, 2007

A Word on South Asian Cab Drivers

I love Desi cabbies! Everytime I hail a taxi I secretly hope that there is a desi driver behind the wheels. Usually I do not appreciate unsolicited advice or familiarity from strangers but I have come to accept and expect it from desi cabbies. Unless I am in a particularly sour mood, I love the lively banter that ensues and enjoy bonding over Bollywood jingles or Quran telawat.

Last week, I decided to make a quick trip to Georgetown to get a pack of my favorite tea. The otherwise friendly desi driver gave me a disapproving look as he dropped me off at the street corner and curtly inquired – “Are you going to that restaurant?” It turns out that right next door to my tea shop was Washington DC’s premier sex-toy store. I felt a pair of eyes following me as I walked out of the cab, waiting to see which way I go.

3 comments:

Zippy Zed said...

heheheh...i can relate to this in sooooo many different ways (well except for the stores in question). Just go to the NY's Marriott Marquis' restaurent and ask for Ahmed ("bhai")...he'll be sneaking in extra slices of cakes in your plate even if you don't want it ;)

Anonymous said...

So did you get the new and improved TRIPLE RIPPLE BUTT PLUG? I hear it's all that and then some...

Unknown said...

Good one.. I actually read the "part 2" first and started searching for more.. enjoyable.. did it really happen? If I were the cab driver.... i would have done the same.. lol.. "are u going to that store??? (surprized)"